Crazy to think that I lived in a dorm 3 years ago and now I’m starting my senior career, boy has the time flown by. There are plenty of things I wish I could have changed when I lived in the dorm and I know one of them was wishing I didn’t bring as much stuff with me! I am currently in college at the University of Alabama and I lived in Julia Tutwiler Hall when I was a freshman which was an all girls dorm right next to Sorority Row. I happened to luck out and get a “pie shaped room”. Literally, in the shape of a slice of pie… the smallest room you could possibly have in the dorm.
leave it to me to decorate a dorm the same color scheme as my blog…
Here’s why you are going to want all these items:
1. A carpet because trust me…you are going to be tracking dirt in and out of your room. You’ll want to sit on the floor but it will either be too cold or dirty. Plus, the tile is just disgusting. Especially if it’s an old dorm…you don’t know what’s been on that tile. I suggest a rather large rug that will stretch to you and your roommates beds. But remeber to vacuum it weekly!
2. A monogram pillow because adding personalization is key..especially when you’re home sick. You want to make yourself feel like you’re at home..and that way people will know which side of the room yours is!
3. A shower tote especially if you have community bathrooms…and don’t forget your shower flip flops!
4. A towel wrap…because you never know who is going to be running in and out of your room and if your roommate is there and you’re trying to get ready putting on a towel wrap is the best way to go. You also won’t dirty more clothes that way (getting to the laundry part)
5. A jewelry holder or a shoe rack, I turned mine into a spot to hold all of my hair products, lotions, cotton balls, and etc. Trust me…you will thank me later. It will leave more space on your desk
6. Yes…you’re going to want a laundry bag for the gruesome hauls to the laundry mat..and please don’t wait around like me and do you laundry until it is literally overflowing and you have no clothes left to wear.
7. A wooden monogram to add some more personalization to your room…go ahead and get your roommate one also so y’all can hang them above your beds 🙂
8. A bulletin board to hang up pictures of your family, old friends and the new friends that you meet!
9. Don’t try getting a make up organizer because when you’re in a rush to get to class in the morning putting everything away in the same spot won’t happen…it will be the least of your worries. You’re roommate will use your make up (you think she won’t but she will)..so it’s not like she will put it back in the correct spot either. If you really don’t wanting her using your make up you can put it in a cosmetic bag and lock it away (coming next). Also, a makeup organizer will take up more space on your desk.
10. Yes, a trunk…or a least a lock for you closet. I can’t even begin to explain the amount of things that went missing because of my roommate and people just walking into my room and helping themselves
if i want to be kind. I wish I would have had a giant chest like this to keep my most valuable things in so that wouldn’t have gotten stolen. Also, I highly suggest that if you have nice clothes, shoes, purses and etc..get a chain and lock for your closet door. I’m not trying to freak y’all out…but trust me. Things go missing…and people lie. Better safe than sorry.
And if you get the chance…Go Greek! It’s the best decision I ever made
I’m trying to be realistic here..there are a lot of things I wish I could have put in this post that I adore from Pottery Barn…but trust me I know what I’m doing! I’ve experienced it all. This is a college dorm room, not your bedroom at home. Imagine sharing your bedroom with another person…yeah it’s real.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask!
Thank you Pottery Barn for sponsoring this post